Hey, it's English. What more is there to say? The Brompton is the iconic folding bike featuring 16" wheels, compact fold, and English properness. It's the perfect companion for the commuter, student, pilot, or big/little city/town professional. Hand-made in England of hand-brazed chrome-moly steel.
I keep a Brompton in my van at all times for riding when the spirit calls me, or when the van breaks down. While not the lightest of folding bikes (see our amazing Bike Fridays), it does possess an amazing ride quality that defies it's small size. Riding is believing. I always have at least one demo Brompton in the shop.
July 2020 Update: I will only sell new Bromptons in-store, to local Sonoma County or adjacent county end-users. Proof of local residency will be required. I will not sell to resellers, and I will not ship. Please don't ask. This policy has been necessitated by two things: 1) the prevalence of black market purchases for illegal resale overseas and domestically; and 2) my desire to place more people on Brompton bikes in local Sonoma County and nearby counties. Caveat: After a minimum 3-month period of time on display in the store, I will consider online sales to end-users only.
About Brompton Bicycle
Made for Cities
- Brompton bikes are sold in 44 countries around the world and over 80% of production is exported.
- The company is on target to produce 48,000 bikes this year and over 400,000 have hit the roads since the first bike was made in the 1975 by the inventor Andrew Ritchie.
- A Brompton bike is perfect for those that live, work or play in cities: The bike folds up to a third of its size, and weighs on average just 11kg which means a Brompton is suitable to take on all forms of transport – perfect for commuting on trains, popping in the boot of the car and taking out of the city for some fresh air, hailing a taxi when the weather changes or you want to get home late at night.
- One Brompton bike takes 6.2 tonnes less carbon than a car to make and 42 folded Brompton bikes can be parked in the space it takes to park one car.
- Brompton Bicycles home city of London has seen cycling increase by 91% since 2003. Brompton Bicycle is proud to play a part in this cycling revolution worldwide.
- There are now 10 flagship Brompton Junction retail stores in cities across the world, including: London, Bangkok, Beijing, Tokyo, Milan, Kobe, Hamburg, Shanghai, Amsterdam and Chengdu.
- Brompton sells to a selected 1500 independent bike stores worldwide.
Made for You
- Brompton bikes are all custom-made, allowing you to choose exactly the bike that suits your needs (riding style, route to and from work, wardrobe, budget). Visit our bike builder to build yours here: https://www.brompton.com/Buy/Build-your-Brompton
- A huge selection of accessories and luggage means you can add to your Brompton bike as you wish- it’s a complete transport solution.
Made in London
- Brompton Bicycle is the leading bike manufacturer in the UK, with its factory in Kew, West London.
- Brompton’s history can be traced back to 1975, when the inventor and founder, Andrew Ritchie, created prototypes of Brompton bikes from his bedroom in South Kensington, London.
- Each bike is hand brazed by a skilled craftsman at our London factory. This makes every bike incredibly tough and unique. Each brazer is trained for 18 months and has a “signature” which they stamp on the parts of the bike they work on.